Dentistry Electives Abroad
Are you a dental student looking for a dental internship abroad? Or a dental practitioner looking for a dental volunteer opportunity? Our dentistry placement programs in Africa are customized to help meet your clinical objectives through exposure and hand-on experience into a unique differentiated dental system through mentorship and supervision
Due to lack or inadequate knowledge, and the huge imbalance of dentist-patient population ratio in Kenya and Tanzania, very few people have access to quality oral health. Dental resources and technology are also limited. This gives you a chance to learn to practice with limited resources.
You will encounter dental practices and conditions you’re unlikely to have encountered in your home country. According to WHO, oral diseases in children and adults is higher among poor and disadvantaged population groups.
A dentistry elective abroad will give you global oral health insights, dental work experience abroad, skills, and expertise necessary to succeed in your future career as a dentist.
Elective Africa dentistry internships give you a chance to make an impact as you study; develop your professional and personal growth through volunteering in our community outreach programs and dental hygiene clinics as a way of giving back to the communities that we operate in.
Our program follows the ADEA Guidelines for Ethical Academic and Industry Interactions.
Why Undertake Your Dental Internship Abroad
Once you are in the hospital, you will be assigned an experienced dentist as a mentor. You’ll work alongside them and observe as they perform dental procedures. Your mentor will help you achieve your dental clinical rotation objectives and share his personal insight into the field.
Your dentistry elective will be customized depending on your interests and the number of departments you want to shadow.
Working in a real-life medical facility in Africa will give you a chance to challenge what you read in books and also:
- Get a global outlook on the state of dental health in developing countries, and how dentists cope with limited resources
- Understand the impact of poverty and socio-cultural traditions on oral health.
- See oral diseases and conditions such as decay advanced well beyond what you’ve seen before
- Garner hands-on dental work experience and expand your clinical knowledge and skills
- Develop your communication skills, confidence, inventiveness, adaptability, empathy, and teamwork.
- Appreciate diversity and acquire cultural intelligence
- Create lasting memories and shared learning experiences with fellow participants in international volunteer programs.
- Travel, unwind, and explore your placement destination,
Specialties in the Dental Internship Program Abroad
Specialties include periodontics, prosthodontics, dental public health, endodontics, pediatric dentistry, and maxillofacial surgery.
Under supervision and mentorship/ depending on your level of experience program participants get the chance to participate in basic dental care including:
- Gum treatment for bleeding and swollen gums
- Restorative dentistry (permanent filling in decayed teeth)
- Extraction of erupted teeth and the removal of fractured roots
- Management of traumatic injuries of the teeth and the soft tissues of the mouth
- Orthodontic treatment
- Replacement of missing teeth by removable dentures
- Routine dental check-ups
- Root canal treatment, maxillo-facial surgery
- Educational seminars and raising awareness among the community about the importance of dental hygiene
While these activities look more or less what one may have been exposed to their diagnosis as well as their treatment methods differ. Through this dental elective, you will get to learn how innovation and creativity are applied to deliver dental care with limited resources.
Typical dental internship abroad ranges from 2 to 12 weeks per country. Your program will be customized depending on your dentistry school requirements, personal preferences, and clinical rotation objectives.
Dental students and volunteers who spend more time on their programs have scope to become better integrated over time, gain increased insight into culture and understanding of international oral health.
Do you want to Come with a Group of Friends?
You may opt to travel alone and join a group of participants or travel as a group and make memories together.
You may also have the opportunity to get a group discount if you tag along with your friend(s) or classmate(s). For more information on groups, contact our placements advisors at firstname.lastname@example.org or inquire here!
What Is Included in the Dental Internship Abroad
Our aim has always been to provide you with a memorable, adventurous, and hassle-free program in Kenya and Tanzania.
We provide you with detailed pre-departure information such that you can plan your dental elective overseas down to the finest detail.
The program includes:
- An internship program customized to your dentistry school elective requirements and clinical interests.
- A comprehensive pre-departure guide.
- Airport transfers as per different location guidelines.
- Designated mentors and support from local staff.
- Gated, safe and comfortable houses complete with in-house catering, Wi-Fi access, and support staff.
- Biweekly global health tutorials.
- Two-way transport to your clinical site.
- Basic Swahili lessons twice a week.
- Certificate of participation on program completion.
- Volunteer activities as per schedule by local staff.
- A chance to explore and travel: safaris, excursions, and mountaineering as optional add-on activities.
Help the World Smile!
If you agree that the most beautiful thing about a person is their smile, reach out to us for a customized dental volunteer program abroad and make the smiles brighter. We’re proud to support future talent who’ll bring vital skills to communities in need. For more information, download a free brochure of our dental internships abroad in 2023 & summer 2024.
Click Here to APPLY and Start your Journey of Joining us for a Valuable Dentistry Internship Abroad!
A Very Unique Dentistry ExperienceElective Africa provided me a very unique experience of dentistry. The dentists at the hospital were more than happy to assist you and teach you new things. In my first week I was able to do an injection and extraction! Of course back home you would never be able to experience that until you were a dental student. The help at the house was really great too. I wouldn’t worry about the food. It is actually better than what you could find back home. Of course there is time to travel and sight see, which I did most days and had many unforgettable experiences.
Wesley Burcham , Indiana State University
Key aspects of Dentistry Electives Abroad
Your Placement Customized
Your placement is customized to suit both your specific individual interests and school requirements. This may include your desire to rotate in preferred hospital departments, choice of supervision or more clinical hours.
Proficient supervision and Mentoring
You will work hand in hand with dentists and mentors at the health facilities of placement to ensure that you experience real life practical and supervised dentistry rotations in a unique healthcare setting.
Differentiated Healthcare System
Interacting with advanced dental cases and phased out infections while utilizing limited resources; both human capital and infrastructure is a life-changing opportunity for your professional growth.
We pride ourselves in being one of the few organizations that offer split placements. You can placed in two different hospitals in the same location, within two different cities or countries to enhance your experience!
Interactive Global Health Tutorials
An opportunity to learn and share on different health care perspectives with other students and local dentists is always rewarding. We organize interactive sessions that provide you with the opportunity to discuss and ask pertinent questions regarding the healthcare system in your placement location as well as share on the distinguishing healthcare characteristics unique to your home country and other places across the globe.
Book your Placement
Book your spot today by paying a reservation deposit of $350. This is a one-off fee that allows us to plan for your mentorship, prepare for accommodation, and create your MyElective account and facilitating pre-departure support.SEE OUR PRICES
Or call us at +1 (609) 375 8912 to learn more.
Unique healthcare systems, beautiful sceneries, enriched culture and towns that are in developmental stage are what describes our destinations! Choose our exciting locations in Kenya; coastal locations of Mombasa or Malindi, the urban setting in Nairobi; the capital city of Kenya or a rural setting in Migori. In Tanzania we have placements in Moshi and Arusha.