If you were to take your elective in your local hospital, you certainly would not have any trouble planning it yourself. You would simply get in touch with an administrator at the hospital to facilitate your placement, find a doctor to mentor you, and then research the specific government policies relating to hospital internships in your area. You wouldn’t need anyone to help you navigate the local transport system or to advise you on security matters. You could easily find a convenient place to stay and plan how to spend your down time.
However, having your elective abroad especially in a developing country is an entirely different story. From conquering the bureaucratic maze in a different healthcare system to navigating in unfamiliar territory on a daily basis, it can seem like an insurmountable challenge. Elective Africa takes on the task of organizing everything required for you to have a secure and successful elective experience.
Our participants have found us invaluable for several reasons:
- We have 13 years of experience in healthcare placements abroad in different locations. We have grown our partners relationships inorder to getting you value at your placement facility.
- Safety and security is paramount for anyone traveling abroad. We choose program residences located in safe neighborhoods with staff on hand including a program manager and housekeeping support services.
- We provide structured and supervised placement abroad which leads to more meaningful learning. Healthcare professionals in Public hospitals are stretched tending to their patients and welcome the presence of and help from foreign students, they however don’t have the incentive to structure electives for visiting students. Elective Africa bridges that gap. We work with doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals in the hospitals to develop structure while on ground hence you get to have an idea of what you will do, where to go and who to turn to for direction.
- Having cultivated strong relationships with hospital administrators, we know which hospital would best suit each student in terms of specialties and learning objectives. Depending on your interests, we can tailor your elective to match you with the right hospital where you can get the exposure you desire.
- Finally, our accommodation set up provides you with the ability to spend time with like-minded individuals with similar pursuits an interaction which only enriches your experience. You will get to meet students from other parts of the world on the same program. You will also meet local medical students at the healthcare facility. We also cater for special accommodation needs on request such as couples, or single dwelling and make rural placements as comfortable as possible.
- One unique service for Elective Africa is that provide round trip transport to the placement facility. We care about the locations to know that you cannot entirely rely upon public transport for your daily rotations.
- We design many activities around your formal program to facilitate as much cultural exchange and appreciation of your host community as you want. All our placements are accompanied with a volunteer activity. Talk to your program coordinator for help with facilitating your plans, or for ideas on how to get out and soak in the local culture. For first hand information about the experience of our healthcare elective placements and volunteer projects from our past participants check out the Testimonials and Blogs under the Resource tab, or kindly visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/electiveafrica.