If you were to take your elective in your local hospital, you certainly would not have any trouble planning it yourself. You would simply get in touch with an administrator at the hospital to facilitate your placement, find a doctor to mentor you, and then research the specific government policies relating to hospital internships in your area. You wouldn’t need anyone to help you navigate the local transport system or to advise you on security matters. You could easily find a convenient place to stay and plan how to spend your down time.
However, having your elective abroad especially in a developing country is an entirely different story. From conquering the bureaucratic maze in a different healthcare system to navigating in unfamiliar territory on a daily basis, it can seem like an insurmountable challenge. Elective Africa takes on the task of organizing everything required for you to have a secure and successful elective experience.
Our participants have found us invaluable for several reasons:
- We have 13 years of experience placing healthcare students from universities around the world such as University of Alaska, Sunny Upstate Medical University, Johns Hopkins University, University of Sheffield, Southampton, Uppsala University in Sweden, Jagiellonian University Medical College, University of Oslo, Deakin University, Drexel University College of Medicine, Nova Southeastern University, University of Melbourne, Monash University-AU, University of Western Australia, The Australian National University, Queens University Belfast, University of Bristol, Edinburgh University, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, Ross University School of Medicine, University of Liverpool, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Charles University, Florida State University, University of Wisconsin-River Falls, St. Georges University of London, Northeast Ohio Medical University, University of Michigan, Southern Oregon University, University of Buffalo, Texas Tech University, Cornell University, University of Puget Sound, James Madison University, Wheaton College, Arizona State University, University of Winnipeg, University College Cork, Tufts University, Florida State University College of Medicine, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, Fairfield University, Methodist College of Nursing, Pacific Lutheran University, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Quillen College of Medicine, North Carolina State University, South Dakota State University among many others.
- Safety and security is paramount for anyone traveling abroad. Our program residences are located in safe neighborhoods with staff on hand including a program coordinator and housekeeping. All our houses have 24 / 7 security. Program administrators are only a phone call away. We are always available in case any questions, concerns or emergencies arise. We also cater for special accommodation needs on request such as couples, and make rural placements as comfortable as possible.
- We provide structured elective placement experience which leads to more meaningful learning. Hospitals and doctors are busy tending to their patients, as they should. While they welcome the presence of and help from foreign students, they don’t have the time or incentive to structure electives for visiting students. Elective Africa bridges that gap. We have worked with doctors, nurses and other healthcare professionals in the hospitals to develop some structure hence you get to have an idea of what you will do, where to go and who to turn to for direction.
- Having cultivated strong relationships with hospital administrators, we know which hospital would best suit each student in terms of specialties and learning objectives. Depending on your interests, we can quickly match you with the right hospital where you can get the exposure you desire.
- Our program has also cultivated strong relationships with doctors and other medical professionals and they have a genuine interest in mentoring aspiring doctors. When you show up, you are not just another elective placement, you are an Elective Africa placement and they go the extra mile to make sure your experience is worthwhile.
- Finally, our accommodation set up provides you with the ability to spend time with like-minded individuals with similar pursuits an interaction which only enriches your experience. You will get to meet students from other parts of the world on the same program. You will also meet local medical students at the healthcare facility.
- We design many activities around your formal program to facilitate as much cultural exchange and appreciation as you want. Talk to your program coordinator for help with facilitating your plans, or for ideas on how to get out and soak in the local culture. For first hand information about the experience of our healthcare elective placements and volunteer projects from our past participants check out the Testimonials and Blogs under the Resource tab, or kindly visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/electiveafrica.