- You must be 18 years old or above to participate in the programs, except for high school volunteer groups
- Travel, medical and indemnity insurance is not included in the program cost. It is the responsibility of the student/volunteer to ensure that they have adequate coverage for the duration of their program
- It is the volunteer’s responsibility to ensure that s/he is in good health and fit to travel and undertake the duties expected of them in their program
- Elective Africa is not responsible for loss of property, personal injury, illness, accident, delay or expense sustained by the volunteer while participating in our programs
- Elective Africa and its agents are not responsible for any financial obligations or liabilities the participant may incur including damages to property, or injury to others while participating on this program
- Elective Africa is not responsible for the cost of extra activities (sightseeing, expeditions etc.) incurred during the course of your stay
- Participants must acknowledge that possession of illegal substances is a grave violation of Elective Africa policy, and if discovered will result in the immediate cancellation of your program
- Participants are cautioned that the possession of drugs is often dealt with severe punishment by host country law enforcement
- Program fee prices on the website are subject to change without warning
- Prices for any optional activities such as excursions or safaris are subject to change without notice. Whenever such changes occur, we will notify the participant of the increments
- Once the application is accepted and reservation deposit duly paid, the program fee cost is guaranteed and will not change so long as the proposed start date is within six months of the date of application
- All fees are payable in US Dollars
- Once your application has been accepted, a reservation deposit is due immediately in order to find placement. Once paid, the reservation deposit is non refundable, but will be applied to the student's program fee should they attend in future up to one year from the initial start date, including the program fee.
- Balance of program fee is due 3 months prior to your program start date. For programs that are split between two or more countries, the program fee is due 4 months prior to your start date given more involved advanced preparations
- Student / Volunteers agree that no part of the program fee is refundable once the program has commenced. This means that no refunds are issued should students spend less time on their program because of illness or personal travel or any other reason whatsoever
- Any refunds for whatever reason will be sent out within 14 days of the refund decision date
- Please note that any payments due to the Program that remain unpaid past the due date may be referred to collection agents and also reported to credit reference bureaus or agencies in your respective countries
Changes and Cancellations by Participants
- Elective Africa must be notified of desired changes or cancellations through this address – firstname.lastname@example.org. Our staff will provide advice on contemplated changes and cancellations. This is the only binding way to secure a change to your contract with Elective Africa.
- We usually charge a change fee of US $ 50, plus any additional costs that we may incur to effect the change. Where these costs exceed US $ 75, we will give you full details of expected charges prior to effecting the change.
- Once you have made your reservation deposit, you need to provide us with all the requisite documents within the deadline provided, that is no later than 2 months prior to your program start date. Failure to do so will necessitate expedited processing, which will incur an additional fee of $25.
- Participants are advised that a significant part of the fees are spent in advance of their program start date in order to prepare for their arrival for the program. Consequently, Elective Africa is not in a position to offer a full refund should participants choose to cancel their travel for any reason. We will refund part of the fee depending on when your written notice of cancellation is received:
- Written notice received after making the reservation deposit but more than 60 days from the program start date will incur forfeiture of the reservation deposit
- Written notice received 30 to 60 days before your program start date will incur a 50% total program fee
- There will be no refund for cancellation notice received less than 30 days before your program start date
- Once a participant commences their program, there will be no refund for any reason whatsoever
- If you have already changed your dates, the cancellation penalties will apply based on the original program start date. Exceptions are entirely at Elective Africa's own discretion and will be communicated in writing.
- Elective Africa is under no obligation to make any changes or amendments once your program has started. Should you choose to depart prior to your scheduled finish date, there will be no refunds whatsoever.
- Due to advance preparations cancellations for all other optional programs / reservations, for example Safaris, will not be fully refundable but will incur a 25% cancellation fee to cover our administrative charges.
Changes or Cancellations initiated by Elective Africa
- In very rare occasions, program details may differ from the original plan. In such a case, we will do everything possible to deliver a program as good as what was contracted, even if the venue changes.
- In the very rare occasion that we need to cancel a program, we will inform you at least 45 days before your program start date and refund you fully within 30 days of informing you. We will not have any further liability beyond the full refund of program fees we received.
- However, where a cancellation is necessitated by circumstances beyond our control, such as natural disasters, extreme political instability, security threats, terrorist activities etc., we will not be liable for a refund. Instead, we will offer you a similar program in a different destination or offer to change your program dates at no additional costs or change fees to you. The participant understands that s/he will be responsible for any costs incurred while changing transport arrangements to the new destination.
- Elective Africa provides a number of non-medical program activities such as safaris, mountain climbing and excursions as a courtesy service to its program participants. Please note that we reserve the right to cancel these add-ons at any time with a full refund to program participants net of PayPal or bank charges. We rely on several vendors and suppliers to deliver these activities. Should prices change, we will inform you as soon as we receive the information.
- Follow the rules, advice and policies set by the local Project Coordinator.
- Travel with an open mind; be respectful to the culture and customs of the country you are volunteering in. This means practicing patience and understanding even when you do not agree with certain issues.
- Understand that though responsible alcohol consumption is permitted gross misbehavior will result in the termination of your program. This includes being inebriated to the point of losing control, harming others or damaging property. You must not consume alcohol at your project or volunteer site or while en route to these places. This is cause for immediate expulsion from the program.
- Treat all people with respect and dignity, especially the elders of the community.
- Dress properly with regard to the local culture, as well as weather conditions. Realize what is socially acceptable in western countries, can be considered offensive in others.
- Avoid all political demonstrations and activities. Remember you are guests in the host country and subject to local laws and punishment.
- Acknowledge the program and accommodations provided are customized for you and not changeable in country without approval and consent of Elective Africa.
- Advise the host family and Project Coordinators of weekend travel plans.
- Respect the policies of the community and the rules of the host family in which you are staying.
- Seek permission before inviting guests to the home-stay.
- Overnight guests are not allowed in the Elective Africa residence.
- Respect the accommodation; you will be liable for any damage you may cause.
- Keep your room clean and neat. Offer to help with chores around the home.
- No smoking inside your accommodation.
Termination Of Program
Elective Africa reserves the right to terminate the program of any student/volunteer who
- Violates any of these Terms and Conditions;
- Is found to have supplied false information during their application;
- Refuses to fulfill their obligations in the program; or whose
- Behaves or acts in a manner considered to be gross misconduct by Elective Africa.
If a program is terminated, the volunteer is no longer under the care of Elective Africa and is responsible for his/her own passage back home. Elective Africa will not be liable to offer assistance, financial or otherwise.
Volunteers who choose to terminate their program for whatever reason, at any point during their volunteer work, will no longer be under the care of Elective Africa and are responsible for their own passage back home. No refunds will be given and Elective Africa will not be liable to offer assistance, financial or otherwise.
Release and Acceptance
By accepting to participate in any of our programs, volunteers agree that they have read and accepted our Terms and Conditions and further indemnify Elective Africa from and against all loss, damage and liability which may be suffered or incurred as a result of his/her act, neglect or default while participating in any of the programs.