For the purposes of our program, we describe senior medical students as students in their 3rd and 4th years in the United States and Canada; and 4th, 5th, and 6th year medical students in 5 or 6-year medical programs.
The program presents medical students with opportunities to return to basics including diagnosing and treating conditions without the benefits of advanced medical that you have back home. Developing countries public hospitals are faced with shortage of healthacre professionas while at the same time face heavy patient loads. In addition due to lack of funds, limited access to heath facilities because of distance, and lack of proper education, patients put off treatment, presenting themselves at hospitals with diseases or pathologies that have advanced to the critical stage. Medical students will encounter opportunities to treat tropical diseases such as malaria, which is a great chance to expand medical knowledge. All these scenarios will teach you new skills and enhance your understanding of diseases progression. All our medical internship applicants are contacted to confirm the specific department they would like to rotate in so that they get the opportunity in their area of interest. We have programs for students in their final years of their medical degree i.e. senior medical students, and for junior medical students in their preclinical years.
Our medical students placement programs are structured and supervised thus guaranteeing elective students practical knowledge for their placement to fulfil their university study requirements. Student rotations and ward work are organized in a manner that most benefits the student, both in attaining practical experience and integrating knowledge in an approach that serves to benefit patient care and help the student to progress in his/her field.
Students have the opportunity of selecting various hospitals that host Elective Africa in our various destinations to work in them. Take a look at http://electiveafrica.com/destinations for further details on various locations.
One of the best placements for a senior medical students who wants a rural medical elective set up is in Migori, Kenya which offers alot of hands on experience in a location not heavily congested with other students.
Students are directed by the supervising doctors and other mentors to enable them to draw an understanding of diverse aspects relating to the care of the patient e.g.
· Relevant history taking in various body systems
· Physical examination
· Relevant laboratory investigations and their interpretation
· Arriving at pertinent diagnoses and appropriate treatment measures
· Various procedures in the clinical medicine and pediatric rotations may be viewed or carried out, under supervision and may include: administration of various types of injections, lumbar punctures, insertion of intravenous cannulae, nasogastric intubation, lymph node biopsies etc
· The student may be allowed to observe and assist in various general and orthopedic surgeries, under supervision
· Within the obstetric and gynecology department, the student is required to take relevant history, carry out physical examination and formulate a pertinent diagnosis and management scheme. He/she may be permitted to view or assist in various procedures, under supervision. These may include: Normal deliveries, Caesarean sections, Tubal ligations and several others.
In any given rotation, a proactive liaison with the hospital staff and senior consultants is recommended.
The hospital may allow senior medical students the opportunity to assess and interact with patients and formulate their own clinical impressions based on these evaluations under supervision of the hospital\'s medical officers (an equivalent of senior House officer) and consultants in various clinical specialties. Various procedures may be performed under supervision and depend on the clinical rotation the student is engaged in at the time.
A variety of disease entities and medical conditions will be encountered in various systems and fields of medicine. A proactive liaison with the hospital staff and senior consultants is recommended
We also organise for the students safari add ons at the end of the program to parks in either Kenya or Tanzania, including a hike to Mt. Kilimanjaro. See the safari link at http://electiveafrica.com/safari and our facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/electiveafrica
©2014 Elective Africa. All rights Reserved